Team Leader Job Description
WAREHOUSE TEAM LEADER – VOLUNTEER ROLE
To ensure the delivery of our service we are looking for volunteers for the key role of Warehouse Team Leader (WH TL). As a WH TL, you will oversee our warehouse sessions, guiding a small team of volunteers as we collect food from the Tesco distribution basket, label, weigh and shelve it. You will also be meeting donors as they bring food donations to our warehouse and ensure stock rotation is managed. Full training will be given at shadowing/taster sessions with our (Volunteer) Warehouse Manager or other experienced WH Team Leader. It is essential to have mobile phone and be proficient with email. Suitable volunteers will be flexible team players, and have passion for helping those in need. You must be available to help once or twice a month on Mon and/or Wed 2-4.30pm. The work is carried out at our Foodbank Warehouse Cabin on the carpark at Tesco on Stratford’s Birmingham Road. Please note that some light lifting, bending and twisting will be required. All volunteers are taken through safe lifting techniques.
A minimum of 5 hours a month, may vary according to the rota and your availability, plus attendance at occasional team leader meetings held at mutually convenient times.
Who would this role suit?
Suitable for any new or existing volunteer, whilst previous experience of our warehouse is helpful it is not essential. Daytime availability once or twice a month on Monday or Wednesday afternoon is essential.
What is Stratford upon Avon Foodbank?
We are an independent charity helping local people in crisis. We do this by providing food parcels to clients referred to us by partner agencies, and providing ‘signposting’ information to help clients improve their situation. The Foodbank is part of the Trussell Trust’s network of 400+ foodbanks, and benefits from operational guidance provided by the Trust. We feed an average 160+ people a month of which 20%+ are children. The distribution sessions and warehousing is at the Foodbank’s cabin on the carpark at the Tesco’s Maybird store. Currently largely funded by Stratford’s Town Trust, we have a board of Trustees to guide our work and benefit from a Foodbank Manager employed two days a week to oversee our operation.
How to Apply
Email our firstname.lastname@example.org stating reasons for suitability by Friday 19th Jan. In the event of a number of suitable applications, informal interviews may be used to assist volunteer recruitment. For further information please email email@example.com or call our Foodbank Manager Marion Homer on 07736 611323. Information on Stratford Foodbank can be found at https://stratforduponavon.foodbank.org.uk/
This volunteer role description reflects the hopes and intentions of the organisation and is not intended to be contractually binding on either party, or to form a contract of employment. Please note that Stratford upon Avon Foodbank is a Christian organisation and welcomes volunteers of all faiths and none.
Key tasks and attributes
- Being available to lead at least 2 w/h sessions a month on Mon and Wed 2-4.30pm
- WH TLs will unlock and lock the warehouse cabin at the start and end of a session.
- Effectively lead a team of w/h volunteers (ie those who process our food donations)
- Ensure w/h paperwork and weighing procedures are completed accurately
- Oversee and delegate food donation tasks, eg collecting food from Tesco, marking up best before dates, weighing and shelving food
- Answer the w/h phone and dealing with enquiries about food donations.
- Ensure w/h volunteers follow foodbank procedures and policies; including wearing hi vis jackets and lanyards when collecting food from Tesco and wheeling trolleys across the carpark
- Assist the w/h manager in training new w/h volunteers
- Oversee the boxing up of food to our off site storage or to share with partners
- Create a welcoming and caring atmosphere for volunteers and food donors
- Be able to cope well under pressure
- Report any health and safety concerns to the W/H Manager and/or Foodbank Manager
- Ensure volunteers are taken through safe lifting techniques and any accidents are recorded in the accident book
- Provide a brief email report to the W/H manager after each session backed up with notes in the w/h daybook.
- Attend occasional team leader meetings
- Please note that there are no toilets at our cabin, we use the facilities provided at the Tesco store